Landlord Tenant – Lease Termination – West Virginia
The statute below establishes the requirements for the termination of leases.
§37-6-5. Notice to terminate tenancy.
A tenancy from year to year may be terminated by either party giving notice in writing to the other, at least three months prior to the end of any year, of his intention to terminate the same. A periodic tenancy, in which the period is less than one year, may be terminated by like notice, or by notice for one full period before the end of any period. When such notice is to the tenant, it may be served upon him, or upon anyone holding under him the leased premises, or any part thereof. When it is by the tenant, it may be served upon anyone who at the time owns the premises in whole or in part, or the agent of such owner, or according to the common law. This section shall not apply where, by special agreement, some other period of notice is fixed, or no notice is to be given; nor shall notice be necessary from or to a tenant whose term is to end at a certain time.
§37-6-7. Reletting by landlord.
The landlord, or other person entitled to the rent may, however, at his election, incorporate, in the notice provided for in the preceding section, the further notice that he will, after he shall have taken possession of the demised premises, lease the premises to some other person, in which case the tenant will still remain liable upon his lease, for the unexpired portion of his term, for the difference between the amount of rent received by the landlord from the new tenant, and the amount payable under the lease of the original tenant, and upon any other covenants or agreements contained in the original lease.
Related West Virginia Legal Forms
- 30 Day Notice to Terminate Month to Month Lease – Residential from Landlord to Tenant
- 30 Day Notice to Terminate Month to Month Lease for Residential from Tenant to Landlord
- 7 Day Notice to Terminate Week to Week Lease – Residential from Landlord to Tenant
- 7 Day Notice to Terminate Week to Week Lease – Residential from Tenant to Landlord
- 90 Day Notice to Terminate Year to Year Lease Prior to End of Term – Residential from Landlord to Tenant